I have kind of a love-hate relationship with false eyelashes. On one hand, I love the way they look, but on the other, I find them sort of uncomfortable to actually wear for long periods. There's nothing more lovely than going through a day with that "boy I wish I could rip this thing off my eye" feeling. Luckily, Physicians Formula recently released a product that promises to give lashes instant drama without the heavy feeling of falsies or glue: The Eye Booster Instant Lash Extension Kit. Read on to find out how to use it, see my before and after photo, plus check a few of my personal tips for successful application and removal!
"Experience a total lash transformation! 100% saw the most dramatic lash effect ever experienced with a mascara. 100% saw thicker, fuller, longer, more dramatic looking lashes after 3 weeks. 24 hour wear. Brush on lash extensions in 2 minutes."
FYI, the Eye Booster kit mascara contains the same lash-boosting peptide (myristoyl pentapeptide-17) that's found in the original Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner + Serum and Eye Booster, hence the lash growth claim. I haven't been using the product long enough to notice any changes in lash growth, but it certainly makes my lashes look fuller on a temporary basis.
Hypoallergenic. Paraben free. Gluten free. Dermatologist approved. Ophthalmologist tested. Fragrance Free. Safe for Sensitive Eyes & Contact Lens Wearers. Non-Comedogenic.
I don't wear contacts, but my eyes can be sensitive at times due to seasonal allergies, and I had no irritation issues whatsoever from using this kit.
Pricing and availability:
Physicians Formula Eye Booster Instant Lash Extension Kit is available in shade "Ultra Black" at a wide variety of drugstores and other beauty retailers nationwide, with a suggested retail price of $14.95.
Basically, the "lash extensions" come in the form of weightless brush-on fibers. There are two components in the kit:
One 5.8g tube of mascara and one 0.3g tube of fiber extensions. Don't worry about the size disparity: You're going to need more of the mascara than you will of the extensions.
The mascara has a skinny, slightly curved wand. I like this shape because you can kind of sneak it in at an angle and get at those hard-to-reach lashes on the outer corner of your eyes.
The fiber extensions also come with a brush applicator, although it's more fuzzy than comb-like. Think something along the lines of a giant black cotton swab or catepillar.
Here's how to use the kit:
- Sweep a layer of mascara onto your lashes.
- While your lashes are still wet, gently brush the fiber extensions onto your upper lashes.
- Apply another coat of the mascara on top of the extensions to seal them in place.
- Repeat steps two and three as many times as desired for a more dramatic effect. Personally I found one or two passes to be enough for my needs, but you can go nuts with it if you want. Don't forget to apply a coat of mascara to your lower lashes when you're done.
Here are my results after just one round of mascara and extensions:
WHEEEE! My lashes are long but kind of sparse, so I feel like the Eye Booster Extension Kit gave them a little more volume and definition than regular mascara alone would. And the process didn't take much longer than applying a couple of coats of mascara would, so I found it easy to incorporate into my makeup routine.
I decided to put the kit to the test this past weekend and use it as part of an ultra-natural makeup look. All I used was the Eye Booster kit, some CC cream, and a pink lip tint. The results:
I was really pleased with how well the Lash Extension kit defined my eyes by itself. I tend to look really sleepy when I'm not wearing eyeliner, but the thickness that the extensions gave my lashes sort of made up for that and made me look rather un-sleepy. Yay! My eye makeup also held up well. I had a tiny bit of fallout from the extensions by the end of the day, but it was barely noticeable because the fibers are so small. Certainly less so than typical mascara flakes, and easier to brush away without making a mess of your makeup. Speaking of which, this mascara didn't flake on me at all! Double yay!
I've tried the Eye Booster kit several times now and think it's pretty easy to use overall, but I do have a few tips that might help you when you're using it for the first time:
- Keep in mind that the formula of the mascara is rather wet. This is necessary because it helps the fibers stick to it, but it can smudge easily while it's setting if you're not careful. Keep a couple of cotton swabs nearby just in case to clean up any oopsies!
- Make sure to give the extensions/fibers wand a good tap over the sink or garbage can to remove excess product before you use it. This will help you avoid dealing with crazy amounts of fallout.
- Don't try applying the extensions to your lower lashes. Just don't.
- There will be a teensy amount of fallout from the extensions when you first apply them, so keep a fluffy brush on hand to sweep them away before you put on the rest of your makeup.
- I experienced minimal fiber fallout throughout the day, but if you want to seal them in extra-tight, consider finishing your lashes with a clear mascara topcoat.
- When it comes time to remove your makeup, I recommend using cotton pads or wipes with liquid remover to gently swipe the extensions away from your eyes. They'll start to ball together once they get wet, which makes them easier to swipe off in clumps.
Overall I'm really pleased with how the Physicians Formula Eye Booster Instant Lash Extension Kit worked out for me, and I plan on using it again on occasions when I need a bit of extra eye "oomph". The extensions didn't irritate my eyes at all, and were as weightless as regular mascara. Certainly more comfortable than wearing a pair of false lashes. Recommended!
What do you think of the Physicians Formula Eye Booster Instant Lash Extension Kit? Do you find traditional false lashes uncomfortable to wear?
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Physicians Formula via Condé Nast, however any opinions expressed above are honest and my own. For more information, check out my full disclosure policy. #EyeBooster