According to my calendar and the latest version of the Walmart Beauty Box to show up in my mailbox, it's spring. You could have fooled me, what with all the gross wet snow we got here in New York yesterday. It'll warm up soon. I hope. But for now, I'm going to put on some spring-y perfume and dive into that beauty box... who's with me?
New to the Walmart Beauty Box? It's a quarterly beauty subscription box created by mega-retailer Walmart. For a mere $5 per quater you get a box filled with drugstore beauty samples (and occasional full-sized goodies too). You can check out my reviews of past boxes here.
In past quarters, Walmart sent out at least two versions of the beauty box, each with different products. I'm not sure how many there will be in total this season, but my shipping e-mail said I was getting box WM • T 1A. Not sure if that's significant, but it is what it is!
Schwarzkopf Essence Ultime Omega Repair Moisture Shampoo & Conditioner (1.7fl oz/50ml ea, approximate value $1.76):
Schwarzkopf is a common drugstore haircare brand in Europe—I had no idea that Walmart carried any of their products. This shampoo and conditioner duo is supposedly rich in omega oils, and is designed to repair damaged hair. Sounds good, and it has a pleasant, soft powdery scent. I laughed when I saw Claudia Schiffer's face on the bottles though. She's a beautiful lady, but I don't necessarily want to look at her while I shower.
Rimmel London Lash Accelerator Endless Mascara in 001 Black (Full size/10g, value $7.97):
Hey, a full-sized mascara! That's pretty cool. This one is supposed to help promote lash growth... I find that claim sort of dubious, but if it makes my lashes look even temporarily fuller then that's a win.
Dove Go Fresh Revitalize Body Wash (1.8fl oz/53ml, approximate value $0.45):
Dove Nutrium body washes are pretty much a staple of the drugstore, right? I don't know if this scent is new or not, but it's new to me, and I like it. The bottle says it smells like mandarin and tiare flower... I just smell mandarin. Well, a not-quite-realistic version of mandarin. It's still refreshing though.
Neutrogena Healthy Skin Boosters Facial Cleanser (0.5fl oz/14ml, approximate value $0.42):
A gentle cleanser formulated with white tea and Vitamin E. I haven't had the opportunity to try this sample yet, but I plan on bringing it with me when I go out of town next week. I think Neutrogena's Ultra Gentle cleanser is pretty decent, so I have high hopes for this one.
That's it for the samples in tubes... but there were a TON of pieces of paper in the box this time. Most of them were coupons. Some of them had packet samples attached. Bonus?
Papers without samples:
- $2 off one Covergirl + Olay Ageless Foundation coupon
- $2 off any L'Oreal Paris Cosmetic Purchase coupon
- $3 off any one Schwarzkopf Color Ultime or Keratin Coloring product coupon
- $2 off any one Schwarzkopf Ultime Haircare or Styling Product coupon
- A card alerting me to the existence of the Maybelline Blushed Nudes palette (um, thanks?)
Papers with a sample attached:
- Nivea In-Shower Nourishing Body Lotion: If I'm understanding correctly, this is like a wash-off moisturizing treatment for your body? You cleanse as normal, apply this, then rinse. Strange, but it sounds like it might be a treat for really dry skin. There's a $1 off coupon on the back too!
- Garnier Ultra-Lift Miracle Sleeping Cream: So Garnier is getting into the sleeping pack game, eh? That's sort of interesting, because they were one of the first Western drugstore brands to come out with a sheet mask too. I'm actually really curious to see how this is! And there was a $2 coupon on the back.
- Maybelline FitMe Matte + Poreless Foundation: I was shocked when I saw this sample. Not because Maybelline products are particularly horrifying, but because they sent me shade Ivory/115, which is actually my color. Do you know often I get medium-beige foundation samples that are utterly useless to me? Yay! So I'm actually going to try this out, and if it seems nice, maybe even utilize the $2 off coupon that's affixed.
Lady Gaga Fame EDP Fragrance (1.2ml/0.04fl oz, approximate value $1.20):
Whoops, almost forgot this one! I actually tried a sample of this fragrance before, and sort of liked it. It's a warm, fruity floral with notes of honey... and unlike some honey scents, this one doesn't smell like cat piss on me. I don't think I love Fame enough to buy a full bottle, but it's not bad.
Total box value: Approximately $11.80
I though this season's Walmart Beauty Box was okay. Not terrible, but not amazing. I find myself wishing that there larger samples of the things that came in foil packets, and maybe a little bit less of Claudia Schiffer's face in my shower. Still, I appreciate having the ability to sample drugstore brands without having to pay for full-sized versions that I might end up hating, so there's that. I'm most intrigued by the Rimmel mascara, Neutrogena cleanser, and Garnier sleeping cream. I want more drugstore sleeping packs, MORE!!!
If you want to sign up for the Walmart Beauty Box yourself, you can do so here. Remember, it's only $5 per season. That's like the price of one fancy coffee and three Skittles. Mmm, Skittles.
What do you think of my Spring Walmart Beauty Box? If you subscribe, did you get the same items?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. For more information, check out my full disclosure policy.