I've been trying really hard to declutter my life lately. I sold a bunch of stuff that I never use and made something like $400, which is crazy... why did I hang on to that crap for so long? (And even move with some of it?) I look around my cluttered little apartment and remember how I lived out of a single rolling suitcase for two years of my life, and wonder... where the hell did all this stuff come from? But even knowing all that, it's still hard for me to get rid of stuff.
Now, I have no immediate plans to live out of a bag again, so divesting myself of all my belongings probably isn't necessary. But I do have a lot of stuff that rarely gets used, so I'm reviving the Use It Or Lose It challenge as a means to use it and see if I really want to keep it (or lose it).
Here's how this is going to work:
- Around the first week of each month, I will gather a small box or bag of stuff. (This will include both beauty products and other random stuff that's taking up space in my life.)
- I will attempt to use and evaluate all the items in the box over the course of four weeks and determine whether I really want to keep them or not.
- If I don't get around to even trying something in the box, that's an immediate LOSE IT! (AKA donate it or throw it away)
- I will write a blog post sharing my thoughts/experiences/mini reviews after the four weeks, and introduce the next set of items to enter the UIOLI box.
Since this is my first month reviving the UIOLI challenge I don't have any mini reviews yet, but I can show you what I've selected for my box this month:
- Susan Posnick Color Eye Define Liner
- TonyMoly Tint Crayon - Neon
- Maybelline liquid lipstick (I forget the exact name of the product)
- Essence Kajal Pencil (Fuchsia)
- Wet n Wild Megalist Lipstick - Pink Suga'
- Missha Signature Real Complete BB Cream
- A-True Vanilla Black Tea Silky Soft Hand Cream
- NYX Jumbo Lip Pencil in Pecan
- Fyrinnae loose eyeshadow - Are You My Mummy?
- Notoriously Morbid loose eyeshadow - Bram
- Bare Mineral Marvelous Moxie lipstick mini
- SD Hair 7 Days Hair Pack
- Haus of Gloi Moondog fragrance sample
- Sweet Anthem Phoebe fragrance sample
- Penzey's Spices BBQ 3000 seasoning
- Starlight Chandling Blue Skies wax tart
- Yankee Candle Wild Lilac wax tart
- De Atramentis Magenta Violet fountain pen ink sample
Random enough for you? This list includes a mixture of samples, full-sized products I've had for a while but have barely (or never) tried, and items I'm thinking of destashing but am on the fence about. In the future I may also use the UIOLI as a way of conducting "should I repurchase this?" tests. Ooh, the suspense! In any case, I'll be back sometime around the first week of October with a blog post describing what I did with all this shit, and in the meantime, I may post little thoughts on Instagram with the hashtag #UIOLIChallenge. If you like the idea of this challenge and want to join in, do use the hashtag (or at least tag me) so I can spy on your progress!
What do you think of the new version of Use It Or Lose It? Do you ever feel the need to declutter?