My main squeeze Stan and I are coming up on our fifth anniversary of living together pretty soon (bust out some balloons!) I think a big part of the reason we've managed to live together for so long without killing each other is that we're on the same page about a lot of things—our habits aren't identical, but they mesh well together. Curiously though, one of our most frequent sources of conflict for a long time was what to have to dinner—we managed to pick out furniture for our new apartment in a day, but somehow deciding which food to cook on a Wednesday night required hours of intense debate? Eventually we settled into a pattern that seems to work for us: I cook 90% of the food, and Stan cleans up the dishes 90% of the time. Apparently cooking was a major source of stress for him, hence the epic "discussions."
I like cooking and absolutely loathe cleaning so I'm 100% happy with this arrangement, though like most people, there are nights when I'm too busy to make an elaborate meal that matches everybody's culinary desires. Lately I've been using Better Crocker Suddenly Grain Salad to help me out on those crazier nights—it's ready in less than half an hour and we can customize our own individual plates however we like. Win-win!
Suddenly Grain salad is available in three varieties:
- Harvest Grains: Brown, Wild & Red Rice, Quinoa, with Cranberries & Almonds, and a Sweet Blush Vinaigrette.
- Southwest Grains: Brown Rice, Quinoa, with Black Beans, Corn, Red Peppers and a Chipotle Vinaigrette.
- Tuscan Grains: Brown Rice, Quinoa, Wheat Berries, with Almonds and a Tomato Parmesan Herb Dressing.
Check out the Betty Crocker website to find your closest store that sells Suddenly Salad. My Suddenly Salad of choice is Harvest Grains—it has a pleasing, slightly sweet vinaigrette that blends well with other veggies, plus it comes with a pack of dried cranberries and slivered almonds ready to be mixed in. Two of my favorites—yum!
Suddenly Grain Salad is incredibly easy to make—you boil the grains in the bag, mix the seasoning packet with a bit of oil and water, then drain and stir everything together once it's done. Even Stan, who really isn't into cooking these days, tried making it once and gave it a 10 out of 10 on the easiness scale. By itself Harvest Grains makes an excellent side dish, but I wanted to beef it up so make a meal-sized salad! So I grabbed a bunch of random stuff from our fridge and pantry and set it out for sort of a "build your own salad" bar. Here's what I put out:
- Chopped red onion
- Artichoke hearts
- Sundried tomatoes
- Bacon bits
Total meal prep time: 20 minutes for the Suddenly Salad + 5 minutes to rummage around in my cupboards and find mix-ins. I added tomatoes, olives, chickpeas and artichokes to my plate, while Stan opted for the onions, tomatoes and bacon bits. We also ended up eating it on different platforms—Stanny will happily eat pretty much anything on a tortilla, while I greatly prefer a bed of greens. That's the beauty of Suddenly Salad, you can do pretty much anything to it! The leftovers also make great lunches if you don't eat it all at once.
My finished plate. Jealous? Well you don't have to feel too jealous—I'm giving away $5 to one lucky reader so they can purchase some Suddenly Salad and/or mix-ins to experience for themselves!
RULES AND IMPORTANT INFORMATION
- To enter, use the Rafflecopter widget below. Each entry method may be done once per person, except for tweets, which may be done once per person per day.
- The prize is $5 USD delivered via Paypal or Amazon (US) gift code, winner's choice. There will be one winner selected at random. You must have a valid Paypal or Amazon (US) account to claim the prize. Don't forget to download the coupon to make the most of your winnings!
- The giveaway is open to worldwide except where prohibited by law, and the full Terms & Conditions can be found in the Rafflecopter widget.
- The giveaway period closes at 11:59PM EST on September 29th, 2015.
- The winner will be contacted via e-mail and will have 7 days to respond in order to claim their prize, so make sure you log into the Rafflecopter widget with a valid e-mail address that you check frequently.
Good luck! And if you need more recipe inspiration, be sure to check out these links: