This Thanksgiving was an unusually tough one for me. I try to keep this blog on the lighthearted side so I won't go into details, but yeah, oof. Specific personal tragedies aside, I think this time of year is hard on a lot of people... the weather's bad, it's dark outside, and planning/attending holiday parties can run the gamut from stressful to awkward (depending on what you're doing and your relationship with your family, of course). One of the things I've been doing lately to beat stress and generally work out my feelings is getting back into journaling and drawing—and when I don't have the mental energy to write or make fantastical things up, coloring! That's right, I finally dipped my toes into the pool of adult coloring books.
I was talking to my mother recently about adult coloring books—she told me she loves them because they "remind me of childhood." This may sound odd, but I never was very into coloring as a kid—I greatly preferred drawing. During this same conversation my mom told me that when I was really little I used to use up the black crayon in every box before all the others because I'd basically just cover my entire coloring books with black scribbles—creepy much?
Anyway, despite not having a longstanding relationship with all things coloring, I do find the process slightly soothing. I spotted The Art of Hallmark coloring book for $9.95 while I was out shopping a couple of weeks ago, so I picked a copy up.
The Art of Hallmark features drawings from nine different artists, so there are a variety of styles in the book. Some of the pages are complex, others are quite simple.
The first page I started coloring in was one of plants. Relatively simple design-wise, but I do like plants, so scribble scribble I went.
Don't worry, I didn't use a single black crayon this time—I busted out a variety of colorful gel pens instead. I suppose most people probably use colored pencil or crayons in these things, but I like how sparkly the gel pens are. Whatever makes you happy, I say.
Anyway, if you're in need of a little de-stressing and coloring sounds like it would be up your alley, you're in luck—I picked up an extra copy of The Art of Hallmark to give away! I'm also throwing $10 into the prize pot, which you can use to pick up pens, markers or whatever else will enhance your relaxing coloring book experience.
RULES AND IMPORTANT INFORMATION
- To enter, use the Rafflecopter widget below. Each entry method may be done once per person, except for tweets, which may be done once per person per day.
- The prize is one The Art of Hallmark coloring book (value $9.95) and $10 USD delivered via Paypal or Amazon gift card, winner's choice. There will be one winner selected at random.
- The giveaway is open worldwide except where prohibited by law, and the full Terms & Conditions can be found in the Rafflecopter widget.
- The giveaway period closes at 11:59PM EST on December 9th, 2015.
- The winner will be contacted via e-mail and will have 7 days to respond in order to claim their prize, so make sure you log into the Rafflecopter widget with a valid e-mail address that you check frequently.
Good luck! And don't forget to check out the Hallmark website for more "me time" gift ideas.
What do you do to relax when you're really, really stressed? Are you into the whole adult coloring trend? Let me know in the comments!
For more information, check out my full disclosure policy.