Sometimes I'm late to the party. I've finally manged to collect my thoughts about the Coastal Scents Revealed 2 palette, right after the Revealed 3 palette was released. Whoops! Some things are worth the wait though: Revealed 2 is a truly delightful, budget-friendly palette. And I like it so much that I've picked up an extra to give away to one of you, yay!
Revealed 2 is the second in Coastal Scents' series of neutral palettes. The Revealed series seems to be directly inspired by the popular Urban Decay "Naked" palettes, and Revealed 2 is often touted as a budget-friendly dupe for Naked 3. There do seem to be several similar shades between the two palettes, but Revealed 2 has a whopping 20 shadows (as opposed to only 12 in Naked 3), making it very versatile indeed.
Revealed 2 costs $19.95 and contains about 1oz/30g of product. Your best bests bargain-wise are to purchase it directly from the Coastal Scents website (where it occasionally goes on sale) or from Birchbox.com, which offers coupon codes frequently.
The palette is housed in a slim cardboard case with a magnetic closure, measuring 7.25" x 3.75" x 0.5". There isn't anything particularly exciting about this design, but it's slim size makes it very easy to store, so I can't complain too much. It's worth noting that there is no mirror inside this palette, just a big ol' piece of cardboard that says REVEALED.
I'm not really sure what the names of the individual shadows are (if they have names), so I've numbered them for your browsing convenience.
1. Matte. Sort of an off-white, eggshell color.
2. Matte. Very light rosy pink shade.
3. Shimmer. A medium rosy-peach shade.
4. SPARKLE! A light rosy shimmer that glitters like crazy. A lot more crumbly than the rest.
5. A slightly lighter, pinker version of #3.
6. Matte. Kind of a dusty rose color. Much prettier than I expected it to be.
7. Shimmer. A yellow-ish gold hue.
8. Shimmer. A beautiful, rosy pink-ish shade with purple tones.
9. Shimmer. A medium copper color with a slight pink undertone.
10. Shimmer. A lighter, more true copper color.
11. Matte. A medium dusty rose with purple undertones. Looks strangely light in the photo above, but is really like a darker, deeper version of shade #6.
12. Shimmer. A dusty rose with brown undertones that looks more brown than pink on my skin, strangely.
13. Matte. A lovely berry-colored reddish purple.
14. Shimmer. Is it taupe or is it pink? It's sort of both.
15. Shimmer. A lighter, less red version of #14.
16. Shimmer. A brownish-purple color.
17. Matte. A cooler berry color that looks very deep in the pan, but swatches more pink on me.
18. Matte. Medium brown. Necessary but boring, like mailboxes.
19. Glitter. Looks like a blackened purple with red sparkles in the pan, but swatches as more of a charcoal color. At least the sparkle comes through.
20. Matte. Black, or something close to it.
General thoughts: The formulation of the shimmery/metallic shadows in this palette is a lot better than most of the mattes. Good news though: Less than half of the palette is matte! And some of the matte shades are pretty decent. Most of the shimmery shades are gorgeous and surprisingly pigmented—I did all of my swatches over cheap-o ELF primer, but a lot of them show up extremely well on bare skin too. Most of them have minimal fallout (except #4, you evil, sparkly mistress).
What I really love about this palette is its versatility: Everybody can wear neutrals, but there's enough color in there for it not to be boring. This palette came out a while ago but rosy shades are still very popular—and with good reason, because they're so pretty and flatter so many skin tones.
The wear time of these shadows is average, but can be improved if you use them with a primer. You should use a primer anyway, because they make your eyeshadow look more vivid and awesome.
Overall, the Revealed 2 palette gets my stamp of approval. There are more hits than misses amongst its 20 shades, and it's priced in such a way that nearly everyone can afford it. What's not to love? Not much, I say. Which is why I'm giving all the folks reading out there a chance to win a Revealed 2 palette of their own! I'm also throwing in a mini set of EcoTools brushes to go with it, because having something to apply your shadows with is helpful (or so folks tell me).
RULES AND IMPORTANT INFORMATION
- To enter, use the Rafflecopter widget below. Each entry method may be done once per person except for retweets, which may be done once per person per day. The full Terms & Conditions can be found in the Rafflecopter widget. This giveaway is open internationally except where prohibited by law.
- The prize is one Coastal Scents Revealed 2 Palette and one EcoTools Mini Essentials Set. The approximate retail value of this prize package is US $25.94.
- The giveaway ends at 11:59PM EST on March 30th, 2015 and one winner will be selected at random via Rafflecopter.
- The winner will be contacted via e-mail and has 48 hours to respond in order to claim their prize. If the first winner fails to respond in time, another will be drawn at random. So make sure you're logged into Rafflecopter with an e-mail address you check very frequently!
Good luck! :)
What do you think of the Revealed 2 palette? Which is your favorite shade?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. For more information, check out my full disclosure policy.